Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Today, the autumnal equinox occurs. Evening's chilly breeze opens the door to nostalgia. Aside from the return to school, Fall meant the annual swapping of comic books.

Having thoroughly perused my summer collection of comics, I was ready for new stories without incurring additional expense. Idiosyncratic tastes veered me from Superman, Spiderman and Batman to Dr. Strange, Cosmic Boy and Captain Marvel.

I longed for a magical word to metamorphose my mundane self into a super hero. Those less familiar with comic book arcana remember Shazam as a buzz word from Gomer Pyle. To me, it conjures an image of the ancient wizard who entrusted his name to a youth. When Billy Batson (another BB) uttered that name, he transformed into Captain Marvel.

Added trivia bonus: Shazam is an acronym for heroes/prophets/gods from the past who gave the wizard his power: Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury.

Upon reflection, the time ostensibly wasted reading this pictorial poppycock did impart upon me a remarkable faculty - imagination. As ever - BB

"Nothing happens unless first we dream" - Carl Sandburg

"But, no matter the danger, no matter the dread challenge that awaits me...I...must go forth.." Dr. Strange

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered where Shazam came from...