Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Anniversary

Twas a year ago today I began this blog solely for the purpose of entertainment and elucidation. In reviewing past postings, what elucidation I have provided is opaque. As for entertainment -res ipsa loquitor.

Anniversary is from the Latin, annus for "year" and verto for "to turn". I ponder exactly for what this year's turning calls. In the Middle Ages, German husbands gave their wives' wreaths of silver for their anniversary. In lieu of expensive specie, flowers were often used. The Victorian predilection for lists prompted specific gifts for specific occasions. Emily Post's Blue Book of Social Usage set parameters for observing anniversaries. Traditionally the first is paper, a conundrum for celebration of a paperless medium.

This anniversary calls for expressions of appreciation. Thank you Gaga for the opportunity. And, thank you all who peruse my blog. I can honestly say that composing these pieces over the past year has been a pleasure. I hope reading them has given a fraction of the enjoyment I have had in writing them. - as ever BB

"An incurable itch for scribbling takes possession of many and grows inveterate in their insane breasts." - Juvenal

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

No comments: