Monday, August 17, 2009

My Les Paul Story


Last week a true genius departed this plane of existence. In the days since Les Paul's passing much has been written about his prowess on guitar and his visionary ideas concerning amplification and recording.

Let me share a personal Les Paul story. I grew up listening to him. Since I could remember, Les Paul and Mary Ford played throughout my house. How High the Moon, Bye, Bye Blues and Via Con Dios, were among the first songs I remember. As I reached my teens in the late 60s, I realized that all the music my parents enjoyed was L7 baby - square.

One day in 1968 a bunch of us were hanging around a friend's house. His older brother walked in after swapping a VW Beetle-dune buggy for a guitar. He proceeded to regale us with his good trade - an early 60s, Les Paul sunburst. He went on and on about the guitar and it's designer. Figuring no one to whom my parents listened could create a guitar used by Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton, I mentioned that I had heard of the designer's father.

My friend's brother relished in exposing my ignorance to all present. The man who played with Mary Ford, Bing Crosby and others was the same one who pioneered the solid body, electric guitar. An invention that could justifiably be called the greatest impetus to Rock & Roll. One of my first steps in realizing my parents weren't as square, nor I as smart, as I thought - as ever BB

"You've got to learn your instrument. Then you practice, practice, practice. And when you finally get up on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail." - Charlie Parker

No comments: